Monday, March 17, 2014

Isabella's 24 week, 6 day Update!

We had our "24-26 week Appointment today"- at 24 weeks and 6 days.
 
It was a rather long one (a little over 2 hours to be exact) because we had an ultrasound, a quick nurse visit for vital signs, weight, and tetanus booster, then the glucose challenge test that included one hour of waiting around, a lab draw (to draw my glucose, and resend the karyotyping that they incorrectly sent two months ago...ugh!), and finally a visit with my OB. 
 
Because of my placenta previa, we will be having monthly US at each of the appointments from here on out...no complaints about that here!
 
Where I will complain is the taste and the after effects of the glucose drink! YUCK!  I was told by the nurse that I got lucky because I got Fruit Punch, so I guess I feel really bad for the ladies who get the orange.  But seriously, that stuff was disgusting.  I just chugged it as quick as I could to get it over with. 
 
And while I thought the worst was behind me, about ten minutes later, my heart was pounding, my organs felt like they were shaking, and I told Jon I either wanted to dance like a crazy lady, or run really fast in circles!  Then about an hour after that, I got a bad headache, and about 30 minutes after that came the post-sugar crash, and I was so sluggish, tired and just felt miserable.  It's crazy what sugar can do to you!! Definitely glad that is all behind me!
 
The ultrasound was a different story.  I love each and every one that we get! 
Baby girl waving her arms to say hello : )
Isabella proved that she was quite the contortionist. She was kicking and punching per her usual, but with both of her legs behind her ears, and her arms up over her head! 
 
While this picture looks a lot like the one above, the extremity resting on and extending past her head is actually her leg! You can trace it all the way down to her hips!
How she can be comfortable like this I will never know!? And just to top it all off, Jon says, "She doesn't get that flexibility from her Mama!" Ha...so sad, but oh so true!

A little bit closer up of her leg and foot behind her head! 
Size wise she was measuring well, but Jon and I both forgot to ask how much she was weighing or what her length was. I think we were still so mesmerized by both legs way over her head!

So the few stats that I have from this appointment:
Isabella's HR: 155 (and still one of the sweetest sounds ever!)
My BP: 94/56
My weight: No change from last appointment one month ago (which is not consistent with my scale at home, but I'm pretty sure I had on about 6 layers at the last appointment so that probably beefed up the # a bit).

In regards to my complete placenta previa, my placenta has not moved at all, so it's still right over the cervix. Honestly I wasn't expecting it too because of how centered it was last time and how infrequently they move enough to cancel the c-section and move towards vaginal delivery, so there was no surprise there.

However, our doctor did tell us that I am at risk for placenta accreta which could mean an automatic hysterectomy at the time of Bella's c-section. (which we won't know until the c-section is happening)  This was definitely a devastating thought.  There is nothing that I can do to prevent it (or change things!), so for the time being I am going to try to not worry (drastically) about something that I can't control, and pray that this won't be an issue at all. 

So while it feels like every appointment we get some sort of "bad" or "and then there's this" or "you're at risk for" news, everything is going smoothly so far. We are just hoping and praying it continues to go this way! Unless the previa resolves, we are shooting for a c-section around 38 weeks which would put us around June 17. Exciting things I tell ya! 

2 comments:

  1. Why oh why are you a no reply blogger? Your comment CRACKED ME UP!! They had balut on Survivor once. That is the ONLY time I hercked while watching it. blah!

    Congrats on the wee one! When ya due? *gonna sound stalkerish* I have two baby sweaters cause I knit, that I'm willing to give ya. Yeah. Sounding stalkerish. Gonna go now.

    Anyway...Thanks for stopping by A Kitchen Hoor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christie! I'm due July 1 but will have a c-section sometime around June 17 (the 38 week mark) b/c of the placenta previa. And stalkerish or not, I've never been one to turn away cute baby things : ) So thanks!!

    ReplyDelete