Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Isaiah Jae's BIRTH story and hospital stay!!!

This was such a different experience for us from start to finish, mostly because I was already admitted to the hospital.


The c-section was scheduled for 6:45 am and in typical hospital fashion, things got delayed a bit. The nurses had me prepped and ready to go though right on time. Anesthesia came in to do one last check around 7:15 or so, and then we wheeled back to the OR.

Jon's obligatory silly pics while waiting to get into the OR

They decided to do a spinal block in the OR, rather than an epidural in my room because of my clotting disorders and the fact that I had been on heparin and baby aspirin (apparently the spinal needles are smaller than epidural needles, and the risk of bleeding is lower). 


So they wheeled me into the OR and Jon had to wait outside. The spinal was a little bit difficult for the anesthesiologist to get (and I only know this because she had to do a few things and then asked the second anesthesiologist for help), but it didn't take that long. 

My OB came into the OR shortly after and they started to prep and drape me. Sometime during this, I got a wave of intense nausea, felt incredibly dizzy, and then thought I was going to pass out. I told this to the anesthesiologist who then re-cycled my blood pressure, and I heard someone say "Wow, that is really low." They then gave me a medication to increase my BP and the next thing I knew my heart was pounding out of my chest, my head felt like it was literally going to explode off my shoulders, and I felt awful! They tried repositioning me and doing a few other things to help but it didn't. 

Meanwhile, the surgeon kept poking me to test where I was numb and while I couldn't feel it in the lower levels, I still had feeling in my upper abdomen. The surgeon said twice we just needed to start and the anesthesiologist said they would have to put me under if he couldn't wait a few more minutes. I told the anesthesiologist I didn't want to be out, so she let them proceed, but said she would have that medicine on standby just in case. 

The surgery was far more painful than my last two, and while I couldn't feel any sharp or stabbing pain, I definitely felt a whole lot more than I have previously! 

Then my memory gets fuzzy because I felt like I was going to pass out again and I remember not being able to open my eyes or answer the anesthesiologist's questions, but I could hear people talking. The surgeon was asking if they could bring Jon in because he was ready to get the baby out, and the anesthesiologist said "No, I need more time with Mom" and he kept poking and shaking my shoulders asking me to wake up. Such a weird feeling hearing it all but not being able to respond! 

I could hear them say "He's out" and then "Blue" and then held him up for me to see, but all I could do was squint my eyes open and see him for a fraction of a second. I don't remember hearing him cry or anything after that because they gave me the medication to put me to sleep. The next thing I know I was waking up in the PACU alone. Not a good feeling.  

Jon wasn't able to come into the OR until after Isaiah was born. He looked at me and saw that there was an oral airway in with oxygen blowing into it, and I was out, and it definitely freaked him out! Nobody told him anything about me, but he says the anesthesiologist looked concerned without being overly worried. He just said it was so bizarre and scary but trusted that if something were really wrong, someone would tell him.

I'm most sad about all of this because we got zero pictures of his birth, and we have such great ones of the girls. Well, that and I missed seeing him right after birth, didn't get to do skin to skin, or anything like that. Oh, and the whole, I have NO idea what happened or why they put me to sleep! 

isaiah came out with the cord wrapped around his neck twice, and was "blue" but overall did great and cried right away from what I'm told. 

STATS: 
Apgars were 8 and 9 (and the initial 8 was given for his blue color, with the extra +1 added for improved color at 5 minutes). 
Weight 4 lb 7 oz
Length: 17.5 in
Head circumference: 12.5 in.









 Because he was less than 4.5 lbs, he had to go to the special care nursery for observation (per the hospital protocol).  While there his blood sugars were great, but because I was out, they gave him formula (not the end of the world, but definitely not what I had wanted). He had low temperatures for which they had to put the warmer on, so that bought him an admission to the NICU. 












I was able to go see him several hours after I got to my room, and OUCH! I've never had to get out of bed so quickly after surgery, but I wanted so desperately to see him and try to breastfeed!

He did amazing at latching the very first time, and ate like a champ. It was so great to be able to snuggle him, even if it was only for about an hour. It was definitely so hard coming back to our room empty handed. 

Thankfully he only needed the warmer through that afternoon and by the next afternoon he was able to come to our room. The rest of the hospital stay he did fantastic and while we initially had to supplement with a bottle (either my breastmilk fortified with formula or plain formula) after each breastfeeding session, we weren't doing that by the last day because he was eating so well and gaining weight back solely with breastfeeding.



The girls got to come meet him the evening after he was born and it was so cute to see their initial reactions! Isabella was just obsessed with him from the get go, and Aubrey wasn't sure what to think. Bella kept saying "Oh my goodness, he's so tiny and cute!" Aubrey kept saying "He's so cutie!" They each brought a present they bought with Mimi (an elephant lovie and several bibs) and they were so excited to unwrap them and give them to baby brother. 









After 7 days of getting almost no sleep in the hospital (between bedrest and post-c-section), I was super ready to get out of there! Thankfully he was healthy and doing great, and was also cleared to go home (although they did say they would feel more comfortable keeping him a few more days for monitoring, but had no true reason as to why he needed it). 

TWO DAYS OLD:




Recover was definitely easier this time around, I was able to get up and shower on day 2! 




THREE DAYS OLD: 





We couldn't wait to get home and start our life as a family of 5!! When we took home Isabella and Aubrey, they got to wear Mama's going home outfit which was super special. They also got to take some pictures with a bonnet that Mimi made, that they will be able to use as a handkerchief on their wedding day.  Since a pink frilly outfit wouldn't have been as cute on him, he still got to wear something of Mamas...a blue baby blanket! And Mimi made him a little bonnet that he can use as a handkerchief on his wedding day as well!  









 Aaaaaaand, we busted out of there! Despite the MDs saying we "could" stay another night, and some wanting us to (but not urging or giving us a medical reason), we wanted to get home to our girls and to our own beds (and about 219 less interruptions at night!). Adios hospital...hello home!
 TEEEEENY TINY little nugget in his seat!!

Once we were home, we had quite the welcomng committee! The girls were estactic to have us and baby brother home! Aunter Stine decorated outside with blue ribbons, balloons and an "It's a Boy!" sign, while Mimi had balloons and the chalkboard welcome sign waiting for us inside!










No comments:

Post a Comment